Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Information

Pinned Image The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood is a book by science history write James Gleick. This book cover is clearly made out of only text. This is a good example of repetition, visual hierarchy, and color. He repeated the same words over and over again. On the first column he repeated the word, "The Information," but the second word is in red. He has the word, "A History," towards the bottom. In the second column he repeated the same thing, but he also added the words, "A Theory." and "A Flood." He kept those words black. The last column he repeated "By James Gleick" and "Author of Chaos." He made two of the words red. When I look at this book cover the first things I see are The Information by James Gleick Author of Chaos, so it actually reads as a title. Then I see the other words in black. I think the designer of the book cover did a good job with visual hierarchy because the red words are what directs people's eyes to the book cover. I like that they didn't make A History, A Theory, and A Flood in red. I think they look better in black because it makes people look at the cover longer to find those words. I also like that the designer used the spine as extra space. It repeats the title and the author and it also has one word in red. The designer definitely used repetition in designing this cover. I would probably open this book to see what it's about. This gives me some inspiration when I am designing my book cover for Neuromancer. I have to design the cover using only text.     

No comments:

Post a Comment